Monday 17 September 2012

Has the time finally come for Sturridge to start upfront?

After Torres' recent outburst on the weekend when substituted against QPR has the patience of the Chelsea fans finally started to wear thin? When Fernando Torres first signed for Chelsea for £50 million I don't think there was a Chelsea fan happier then me as we had just signed one of the best strikers in the world and I could only see great things in future for him at Chelsea.

However fate has had different idea and Torres' time at Chelsea hasn't been anything like expected with him struggling to find form or score goals regularly. I wouldn't say it has been down to a lack of desire or effort but with an in form Drogba in front him and his own confidence on the floor he has found it hard to find his scoring touch consistently like he was doing at Liverpool. Even though his form in front of the goal as been poor for Chelsea the fans have stuck behind him, showing great support when many others would have turned against him, but I think that it could be now time to give Daniel Sturridge more of starting opportunities he craves so much.

I know a lot of people say that Sturridge can be greedy and yes I would agree that it can be frustrating when he takes shots from distance when he could have been slipping someone threw, but you must remember he is a striker who was being played out of position on the wing and upfront his direct style and selfishness is something all top strikers have and we seem to be missing this with Torres upfront. To be honest I think that if Torres didn't have such a huge price tag hanging over his head Sturridge would most probably be starting a lot more games as a striker for Chelsea as his form over the last 2 years for both Bolton and Chelsea has been considerable better then Torres'.

Recently Torres has found signs of getting back to his best, winning the Golden Boot at the European Championships and scoring a couple of goals this season, but I think his Golden Boot was slightly tainted by the fact that for majority of the competition Spain played Fabregas, a midfielder, upfront instead of him which  I couldn't see happening if David Villa was fit, which definitely shows that Del Bosque had major doubts as to whether Torres could do the job. 

I hope Torres does return to his goalscoring form of his Liverpool days but at the moment I can't quite see it, so think that even though Torres will continue as are main striker this year Sturridge should be given more chances upfront to show us his quality.

What do you guys think? Did I get it wrong? Leave a comment below to share you thoughts.

LetsTalk #KTBFF


Follow me on Twitter @LetsTalkChelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment