Tuesday 28 August 2012

Does Michael Essien still have a role to play at Chelsea?

How can I put this as simply as possible.... YES!! I personally don't understand how his ability and place in the team is being challenged so greatly buy Chelsea fans and even Di Matteo who seems to even favour Raul Merieles over him at the moment.

I get that he has had a lot of injuries in the past and when he came back for us last season he didn't seem to be as great as he was before but I still can't recall him playing bad for us at any time. Take the Manchester United game where we drew 3-3 last season. This was Essien's first start after coming back from injury and for me he controlled the midfield for the majority of the game and it was only in the last 20 minutes of the game he started to fade which was down to lack of match fitness.

I know that Obi Mikel seems to be Di Matteo's first choice defensive midfielder along side Frank Lampard in the double pivot but I still don't think that he is a better option then the Bison at the moment. Mikel has definitely improved over the years and his performances in our Champions League campaign last year was nothing short of exceptional however I always have the feeling that there is a mistake in him and  I still question whether he can keep such high level over a long period of time. He also doesn't offer enough going forward for me compared to Essien. I don't buy into the claims that he just plays simple passes side to side however I still think he needs to improve on his link up play in the same way Alex Song did last year for Arsenal and dramatically improve his shooting which is just woeful at the moment.

I think that know Essien has had a whole pre season this summer he definitely has a role to play for Chelsea this season whether it be in rotation with Mikel or as his deputy I still believe he has a lot to offer and would without doubt return to being the engine room in our midfield if given the chance this year.

What do you guys think? Leave a comment below

LetsTalk KTBFF

No comments:

Post a Comment